Monday, April 8, 2013

TAC Member: Mai Thai


I’m very excited to join a supportive teaching community through the TAC program.  I am passionate about this work because I believe the educational site has the potential to be a transformative space for anyone involved.  My teaching style has been influenced by Paulo Freire, bell hooks, Ira Shor, and my past educators who have committed to critical and feminist teaching philosophies—I want to challenge the common practice of “banking” knowledge, where students are seen as empty vessels for teachers to deposit information; rather, I believe students and instructors can be mutual teachers and learners and that students learn better when they have creative agency.  

Aside from teaching, I am also passionate about working on issues affecting low-income immigrant communities.  Before coming to UC Davis, I worked with high school students in various programs and organizations to empower youth towards higher education and to engage in social and political advocacy.  Working with youth has encouraged my sociological research on gender inequalities in K-12 education, particularly in Asian American communities.


No comments:

Post a Comment