Thursday, April 5, 2012

TACC: Heather Dwyer


I'm so excited to start my second year with the TAC program. This cycle I will be sharing the role of TAC Coordinator with Jamiella Brooks. The TAC program has been such a rewarding experience and I'm looking forward to continuing working with the graduate student teaching community at UC Davis.

Since starting at UC Davis as a graduate student in ecology, my interest in teaching has grown stronger and stronger. I love interacting with undergraduates and am constantly looking for ways to enrich their learning experience. My goal is to have a lasting impact on students, whether that occurs at the level of truly understanding material, developing enthusiasm for the subject matter, or strengthening critical thinking skills. In the past year, working with other TAC consultants has taught me much about diversifying my approach to teaching. In the future I hope to teach undergraduates full-time at a community college or other teaching- focused institution.

My graduate research interests lie in speciation and hybridization of butterflies. When I'm not in the classroom or chasing little yellow butterflies around, I love to read, knit, explore San Francisco, and go wine-tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment