Tuesday, April 10, 2012

TAC Member: Robert Lynch

       Aloha!  My name's Robert and I'm a TAC.  I am honored and enthused to be part of this community.  I am a 4th year Physics Education Research [PER] Ph.D. student. I began my graduate work in pure physics before deciding that I was more interested in how to teach and learn physics.  To that end I transferred from UC San Diego up to Davis. I have found a supportive research home here in UC Davis Physics Education Research Group, creatively names I know. In PER my interests are broad, including the effects of gender in the classroom, though I am currently studying the effects of taking physics in the first year of college over later.
       This is my first year as a TAC, though I have participated in other CETL activities.  Currently I am co-coordinating the Graduate Teaching Community, where we are offering a certificate series on teaching and technology.

     I am looking forward to so many different parts of being a TAC.  I have heard nothing but good about the experience of being part of a community where all of the participants are passionate about learning.  I anticipate  with joy all the learning that will happen both within the TAC and as a consultant.
     In that mysterious thing called free time, I enjoy salsa dancing, food, both cooking and eating, and art, which I got my "other" bachelors in.   I am a firm believer that neither physics nor art nor any other discipline is really beyond any one, some tasks maybe harder for some than others but we, as humans, are amazing learning machines.

1 comment:

  1. Aloha, Robert! I love your last comment about how "no discipline is beyond any one," I think that's a valuable (and very helpful) approach. It's something I struggle with coming from the humanities, where we have to constantly justify ourselves and our work... it's exhausting!

    I've done salsa at FDF but I think I will stick with Zumba.

    ReplyDelete