Thursday, April 7, 2011

New TAC: Jamiella Brooks

Salut! !مرحبا As a new TAC I look forward to many opportunities to learn from my peers and to share my (sometimes off-kilter) ideas for teaching and pedagogy. I come from teaching English in a Los Angeles middle school called Maria Regina. Being around very energetic, very curious kids was a challenge (especially when it came to teaching a subject like English) but they certainly taught me a lot about patience and taking different pathways to instruction and learning.

In an age that is increasingly hostile to teachers, I aim to encourage and uplift others. A professor once told me that teaching is the most thankless job there is, and that will remain true until we find a way to be thankful for each other, and guide one another to be increasingly better at what we do. I believe that we are all teachers in some way, shape, or form--at the workplace, at home as parents, among our own friends; teaching and guiding is an innate quality of our being. As a TAC I know that I will be humbled and presented with many learning opportunities to refine and improve my own methods.

Here at Davis I teach French and have taken Arabic classes in an effort to look at the literatures and dialogues coming from places like Algeria, Tunisia, and Morocco, which have a considerable French language influence and continue to be seated in post-colonial ideology. I am increasingly interested in linguistics, especially issues around second language acquisition and multilingualism. When I'm not teaching or taking classes I spend time in my community garden or can be found watching cartoons with my beloved husband and stepdaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment