Monday, October 4, 2010

TAC: Sarah Augusto


I’m a first year TAC and a doctoral candidate in sociology. My research areas are social movements, sex and gender, culture, and emotions. I have studied reproductive rights issues for much of my academic career and wrote my masters thesis on the pro-abortion rights and anti-abortion movements. I’m currently working on my dissertation, a study of the UC budget crisis and the movement to defend public education.


When I first came to grad school I wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy teaching, but it turns out I absolutely adore it. I am passionate about education and about the subjects that I teach. My goal is to impart this enthusiasm and dedication to my students. While it is my responsibility to convey specific information and knowledge, my ultimate goal is to encourage students to be excited about their education and to seek out knowledge on their own. I want to help instill in them a lifelong love of learning that extends beyond the classroom and the university.


As a TAC, I am excited to be part of a community of educators who share my enthusiasm for teaching and to impart that enthusiasm to new TA’s. The TAC program offers a unique opportunity to improve my own skills and knowledge while helping others do the same. To me, this is what truly great education is all about – a collaborative environment where rigid barriers between students and teachers are broken down and we all learn from one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment