Sunday, October 3, 2010

I'm the quiet one in the funny shirt.


Hello, my name is Jonathan Bragg (but call me Jon!). I'm a seventh-year graduate student in Microbiology, and I'm a first-year TAC. My time in lab is focused on identifying key regulators of the multicellular fruiting body formation program of the soil bacterium Myxococcus xanthus; my time in the classroom has also revolved around Microbiology in both intro and more advanced labs.

Teaching wasn't really on my mind when I started grad school, but I quickly discovered that T.A.-ing is in fact my favorite part! Whether it's helping students understand complex processes, giving them useful skills that I know they can use, or just having a captive audience for my jokes, I'm a fan. I especially like being a TAC because of our strong commitment to collaborative work: I can add my practical experience but cover for my lack of formal education training.

I'm really looking forward to getting out there and helping other T.A.s fine-tune their classes and work through the rough spots. I think we got a great start with the T.A. Orientation a couple weeks ago and I hope to maintain that great momentum all year.

In my off time you'll find me doing any one of my innumerable hobbies. Games of all kinds fascinate me, comedy (writing, TV, movies) invigorates me, and photography and cooking challenge me.

I look forward to meeting other T.A.s during our workshops, consultations, and other events!

No comments:

Post a Comment