Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Emily Evans

This is my first year with the TAC program and I am really excited to be a part of this group. The opportunity to engage and research teaching and learning is the reason that I am here at UC Davis. The TAC group has been a great opportunity to meet and collaborate with others who share these interests.

I am currently in my 5th (and hopefully final) year of a PhD program in education. I am in the science education emphasis specifically focused on environmental education. My dissertation research is an investigation of what youth learn about water and water systems through experiences in different formal and informal contexts, such as school, home, and outdoor fieldtrips. As part of my work, I coordinate a section of the science education and outreach program. In the winter quarter, students participate in a weekly seminar and discussion sessions. In the spring quarter, students apply what they learned in seminars to field work with different environmental science education programs. I particularly enjoy the interdisciplinary nature of this work and that is also what I enjoy about the TAC group; the chance to meet and work with people from different fields and interests.

I look forward to meeting many more TA’s in the coming quarters and working together to advance our practice as teachers and expand learning opportunities for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment