Wednesday, October 6, 2010

TAC: Sarah Dalrymple

I am a Ph.D. candidate in the Population Biology Grad Group, and I study fire dynamics in Jeffrey pine forests in the Eastern Sierra. A bulk of my research also involves ants so I spend a lot of my time crouched down looking at the ground in forests. It's more fun that it sounds!

In my last 4 years at Davis I have TAed a variety of classes, including biology labs, a field course, and an art-science painting studio. I am incredibly enthusiastic about teaching and learning how to get students to engage more effectively with one another and with course material. This is my second year in the TA Consultant program and my first year serving as a TAC Co-Coordinator alongside Mara Evans. The current TA Consultants come from a range of disciplines and backgrounds, which often results in well-rounded and lively discussions about teaching and education in our weekly meetings.

As a TAC, I hope to pass along knowledge I have gleaned from my own experiences and from discussions with other TACs, whether during individual consultations or workshops. TAs often interact with students more than professors, and as a result, they have an opportunity to positively influence student learning. However, many of the departments on campus lack structured support for grad students interested in improving their teaching. This is why I am so excited to be a part of the TA Consultant team! My ultimate goal is help TAs improve their teaching and provide encouragement for those who otherwise lack the support to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment